Sunday, August 3, 2008

Making the transition from one pastor to another

On June 29 during and after worship we celebrated the ministry of Pastor Kristin White and wished her well in her new appointment to serve the Untied Methodist congregation in Wayne, Maine. Kristin has been here for seven years and a loving relationship has grown between her and the members of the congregation. Today was a little like Dorothy tearfully saying good-bye to the Tin Man, Cowardly Lion and Scarecrow. as one by one she embraced those she loves and tried to say in words what her heart was feeling.

It is not easy to let go of a beloved pastor who has helped you grow closer to God, been there with you through hard times and good times and encouraged you to grow in your faith. So often when we have anything or anyone good in our lives it is painful to make a transition to a new phase of life. I have found that the best such transitions in my own life take place when I'm still in love with my current situation, yet know that God is calling me to take the next step in my life journey. It is then when the bitterness and sorrow of leaving behind special friends, activities and places is sweetened with the joy and expectation of new adventures and new wonderful people on my horizon.

Wesley Church, Kristin and I are experiencing just such a transition. Kristin has been called by God and Bishop Weaver to move into a full time position as pastor to a congregation who needs her special gifts. Wesley Church is being given the opportunity to experience leadership from someone with new gifts and graces to lead them in new directions. And my three year break from pastoral ministry is coming to an end as I ease back into ministry on a part time bases, and continue my dissertation research at Boston University. By God's grace it is a win, win, win situation. Praise God!

No comments: