Sunday, July 7, 2013

It's Your Turn to Wear the Mantel


2 Kings 2:1-14
June 30, 2013

Gregory Harrison.  In the three years I’ve been here he has shown up in several sermons.  He was the pastor of Wesley UMC in Amherst for five and a half years when I was a student and took my first jobs.  But my connection to Gregory goes further back because he also went to the Christian family camp I’ve been going to since I was five, a Camp Farthest Out that meets on the shores of Lake Winnipesauki.  Winni for short.
            In the early years of camp I encountered him mostly at the table of the Dalgaard family.  They always sat at the same table in the back corner.  I was friends with Elvi and her sister Lisa, Gregory was Elvi’s godfather and had grown up going to Winni with Elvi’s dad John and aunt Lisbeth.  At mealtime, if I wasn’t sitting with my grandparents, you could probably find me at the Dalgaard’s table – and Gregory was often there as well.
            Gregory usually lead the high school and young adult groups at Winni, so when I got older I became even more familiar with him.  He had a great sense of humor, taking part in the funniest side-splitting acts at Stunt Night. I heard Gregory give morning meditations and talks and learned that like many adults at Winni, Gregory was a person who knew how to pray in a way to get answers from God.
I learned he was the youth pastor at Wesley UMC, in Worcester and there were a large number of campers from the church who had started coming to Winni because of his invitation.  Gregory also invited some teen-aged boys, a group Gregory affectionately called his “cubs” to camp.  Gregory was a single man with no children of his own. But he swam at the YMCA and met some of the young lifeguards.  They were generally good kids, but a bit rough and on the verge of getting themselves into trouble.  Gregory would start by inviting them to breakfast, and then to youth group activities like mountain climbing and apple picking, and teaching them to pray.  And Gregory brought his cubs to Winni.  By the time I was in high school Gregory’s oldest cub, David, was going to Yale Divinity School with his fiancé, Gina. The two of them were my prayer group leaders one year when I was in high school, and they led the evening program for the high school kids for several years.
 The year I started college and began attending Wesley UMC in Amherst Gregory was still in Worcester, but at the end of that year the pastor in Amherst retired.  When I heard the news that Gregory had been chosen to take that charge I was ecstatic. It truly felt like divine providence guiding my path and my expectations for all that Gregory could do with this wonderful church were high.  And for myself I assumed that I would soon become a cub too and Gregory would give me advanced instruction on prayer.
I could talk about the years when Gregory was my pastor all day, but for this sermon I need to jump quickly to the end of his ministry five and a half years later. This was the weekend when Gregory was dying of cancer.  Lisbeth Dalgaard, his cub David, two other Winni friends, and I were joined with five members of his family to keep vigil in the parsonage while Hospice helped us tend to him.  It was a powerful, life changing time for me.  But when I went into Gregory’s room for the last time alone and tried to say goodbye I discovered that I was so very angry with him.  I was realizing that he had fallen so short of the expectations I had of him.  The Gregory who was pastor of the church seemed to be a very different person than the Gregory I knew at Winni.  He was formal, standoffish, uptight and could easily get his feelings hurt.  He never adopted me as a cub, and one time when I was out of college and struggling to find my way in the world, the only time I went to his office for pastoral care, he didn’t console or pray with me, he scolded me.  I was angry that he was dying before he had gotten around to passing on his spiritual gifts to me. So, clinging to my faith in eternal life in Christ, I was honest with Gregory.  I told him I was too angry right now. I would say “I love you” later.
            Have you ever had anyone in your life who seemed close to God; someone who had wisdom, inner peace, the light of Christ shining from their eyes?  Have you ever wished that they could share that with you – that you could gain even a portion of what they had?
This desire is at the heart of today’s scripture lesson from Second Kings. It is our last story about Elijah for this season, the mighty prophet of God whose prayers could cause God’s spirit to set a soaking wet altar aflame, provide an everlasting supply of food during a famine and who had the awesome experience of encountering God as a still small voice – sheer silence. Right after that encounter God told Elijah to find and anoint Elisha as the prophet to take his place.  Elijah found Elisha plowing a field, and without a word threw his prophet’s cloak, his mantel over Elisha’s shoulders.  Elisha got the message, left his parents and his work and became Elijah’s cub, an apprentice prophet. You can find that story back in 1st Kings chapter 19.
Today’s passage in 2nd Kings chapter 2 finds us at the end of Elijah’s life.  Like Gregory, it seems Elijah’s life was brought to an abrupt end, sooner than expected.  Elisha had a sense of what was to come, and didn’t want to miss anything.  Though Elijah invites him to go on his way three times Elisha refused to leave him.  They travel through some holy land.  From Gilgal to Bethel, where years ago their ancestor Jacob had a vision of angels going up and down a ladder to heaven. From Bethel to Jericho, where Joshua’s army blew their trumpets and the walls of the city at the entrance to the Promised Land came tumbling down.  From Jericho to the Jordan River which parted like the Red sea as the Israelites crossed over on dry land.  When they got to the Sea Elisha rolled up his mantel like Moses’ Rod, struck the river and again the waters parted and the master prophet and his apprentice crossed over into the land where Moses had died.
When they were there Elijah asked Elisha, “Tell me what I may do for you, before I am taken from you.”  What should Elisha ask for?  Eloquence, a quick mind, last minute instructions about how to carry on as a prophet?  Claiming his place as Elijah’s heir he asked for what all firstborn heirs got in those days – a double portion – twice as much as the other heirs.  But not a double portion of money, or property.  Elisha asks for a double portion of Elijah’s spirit.  Eugene Peterson translates the Hebrew, “Your life repeated in my life.  I want to be a holy man just like you.” Elijah’s reply is important for us to hear. “that’s a hard one, you have asked a hard thing.”  Elisha’s request was not something Elijah could give on his own.  For only the Lord can make us holy. Only the Lord can give us the spiritual gifts that attract us to wise people who have inner peace, a twinkle in their eyes, deep wisdom and joy.  Elijah couldn’t make a sure and fast promise.  But he did use his gift of prophecy to assure his cub. “If you see me as I am being taken from you, it will be granted you.”
Sure enough, just after he spoke these words, the two men saw the chariot of fire swinging low to take Elijah home to heaven on a whirlwind.  Elisha saw the whole thing, and as he was watching Elijah’s mantel fell to the ground.  When Elijah sailed out of view like a rocket ship ascending to heaven, Elisha’s grief began.  He tore his clothes in mourning, and then picked up his mentor’s mantel, used it to part the Jordan river again and return to his work, no longer an apprentice, but a full prophet of the Lord.
            In the days and weeks and months after Gregory’s death I had a lot of time to reflect on the time I had spent with him.  It fell to me, as the one closest to Gregory and living near-by, to sort through his worldly possessions in the parsonage.  Gregory died in January so we had several months to get it ready for a new pastor in July.  In a way I had never expected I had taken the roll of the daughter he’d never had.  And it gave me an opportunity to reflect on his whole life as I came across letters, diaries, photographs and books.  With the help of friends I began to process all the years that he had been my pastor, to move beyond looking at expectations he had not met, to seeing what God had been doing in and through our relationship together.  Eventually I came to see and accept many gifts that I hadn’t noticed when I had only been looking for what I thought I wanted.  Also in these months my own call to ordained ministry became much clearer – enough so that I began visiting seminaries and taking the first steps in my church on the path to ordination. When I met with members of the District Committee on Ordained Ministry for the first time the members questioned my motivation in relation to Gregory, wondering whether I was somehow trying to fulfill his dying wish rather than answer my genuine call.  I assured them that Gregory had never once suggested that I should become a pastor, and that though my time with him had shaped my understanding of my call – the call properly came from God.  Five and a half years after Gregory died, fifteen years ago now, with help from many other mentors and spiritual guides I took on this mantel, the stole symbolic of ordained ministry.
            Over all this time I have continued to reflect on the mantel of faith Gregory left to me.  Though the Gregory who came to our church in Amherst was very uptight at first, over time he did melt, soften, become more playful, more approachable able to love and be loved by the church.  He started to let his humor show, and he started sharing the remarkable stories of answered prayer that he’d experienced through CFO.  Gregory also helped the church learn to pray and hear God’s answer.  He started a weekly prayer group at the church and the number one prayer each week was for families with children – as we only had a handful of teens when he first came.  Not long after they started praying one family appeared and were warmly welcomed, and they brought their friends, and then more and more came until we had a respectable Sunday School and a children’s choir.  Gregory may not have adopted me as a cub, but he use the times when he took me back to campus after church events to share bits of his prayer life and wisdom with me.  He also attracted a large number of Winni friends who visited on Sundays and we’d all go out to brunch after worship.  When I graduated and decided to stay in the Pioneer Valley, Gregory encouraged me to transfer my church membership to Wesley, invited me to serve as the secretary to the Church Council, serve on the town-wide Martin Luther King celebration committee, become a member of the lay leadership committee and to represent the church at cluster meetings where I met other pastors, several of whom were on the District Committee for Ordination. I have come to see Gregory’s mistakes as important lessons about what not to do as a pastor! Gregory was paving the way for me to grow in church leadership and I hadn’t even seen it happening.  I also had several opportunities to travel to Montreal to visit the Dalgaard family with Gregory.  The first trip was to attend Lisa’s wedding, while Gregory served as one of the ministers.  I spent the night of the rehearsal dinner with aunt Lisbeth preparing food for the reception and which was the beginning of my special relationship to her, one of my spiritual mothers.  Last Saturday I was back in Montreal for Lisa Dalgaard’s wedding.  Her sister Elvi was consciously filling in for their father, John who died 12 years ago.  And I was standing in my robe and stole at the front of the aisle, as Gregory had done for Lisa at her first wedding.  I was wearing Gregory’s mantel with thanksgiving.
            But of greatest importance, I feel, was what I learned about the art of passing mantels – sharing spiritual power.  While at first I could only imagine that God put Gregory and me together so that I could receive what he had to offer me, after Gregory’s death as I reflected on our years together I realized that I had only seen half of God’s plan.  The Lord knew that I had spiritual gifts that Gregory needed to grow in faith and love as a follower of Jesus Christ and as a pastor.  Though as I child I had believed that all the people at Winni were angels and spiritual giants I came to see that something about camp made us live as our best, healthiest and holiest selves.  And the real work was taking those selves back into our everyday lives.  As I got to know Gregory I began to understand the wounds of his life, wounds that caused him to put up walls of formality, wounds that allowed his feelings to be easily hurt, fears that were keeping him from sharing his highest and best self with his congregation.  In those first months of his appointment the congregation was dismayed at this person who was now their pastor.  In the midst of one painful conflict they started turning to me, the person who had known him the best and loved him the most – seeking understanding of Gregory’s behavior with the hope of getting to a better place with him.  Gregory, a grad of Harvard and Harvard Divinity School mistakenly thought that the residents of a college town like Amherst expected sermons full of complex theology.  In the first year we would strain our brains each week trying to make sense of what he was telling us.  When he asked me for feedback I replied, “Tell some stories!”  “I can’t,” he said, “I’m a single person, pastors usually tell stories about their families.  I don’t have one.”  “What are you talking about?” I replied.  You’ve got a great big family called Winni CFO.  After that his sermons were much better.
            Again I could go on and on.  My point is twofold.  First spiritual power, spiritual gifts were not Gregory’s to give.  They were gifts from God. And Gregory was not the only person with gifts to give.  God used my presence in Gregory’s church to encourage, even expect him to pick up and daily wear the full mantel of God’s grace, love, joy and peace that had been passed on to him.
            We started out this morning singing Freely, Freely.  In Jesus’ name I came to you to share his love as he told me to.  We are all wearing mantles of spiritual power, created by God, passed on by others who love and follow Jesus Christ.  We to do two things with these mantels.  First we are to discern that they have been gifted to us, passed on by the communion of saints who have dropped them at our feet. God calls us to pick them up, put them on and wear them with grace.  Second, no matter how long or short you have been wearing your mantel of God’s spiritual power, you are called to share it with the people God puts in your path.
            The mantel is the Spirit of God descending upon our hearts.  As we sing this next hymn, let it be your true and deep prayer.  That mantel is symbolized with fire.  The altar of our hearts, no matter how soggy they may seem, can be set on fire with God’s holy Spirit of love.  This is the little light we each have.  We’ve been promising since Sunday School that we would let it shine, and hold it high for all to see.  Let this hymn not just be a song, an interlude before the offering. Let it be your prayer. Teach us, O God, to love thee as thine angels love, one holy passion filling all my frame; the kindling of the heaven-descended Dove, my heart and altar, and thy love the flame. 

No comments: